View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
billyray520
billyray520 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks everyone for you quick replies! I have looked at (and appreciate) your solutions!

The problem I had with Sigil, is that for some reason I couldn't do a Regex search for the square brackets, only a non-Regex search would find them. So I made two passes of looking for "[" and "]" to eliminate them. I replaced them with a space. The resulting footnote links unfortunately had varying size underlines, so it wasn't a perfect solution, but acceptable. This was only the first chapter in which I tried this FootnoteLinker plugin. It was VERY helpful, indeed! I had 46 footnotes in it. But I have HUNDREDS of chapters left to annotate.

I should also mention that I am pretty new to ebook publishing.

I had a look around in Doitsu's source code and could see where he inserts the square brackets. I thought maybe I could modify it to just use a space instead and rezip it back into its .zip file. I changed the name just so I would know which one was which. But unfortunately Sigil would not accept my modified plugin as a valid plugin. So that is why I thought maybe Doitsu would think about this possible modification. It's just too good a plugin NOT to use!

@Doitsu: Thanks for the idea on changing the source. My way didn't work.

I understand everyone's concern about clicking a little footnote link. However, I am patterning my book along the lines of a commercially done one, and it works adequately, while not as easy as having a link with all sorts of "decorations" it must be remembered (in my case -I'm working on a Bible) that not everyone is interested in the footnotes, so having the footnotes be less conspicuous can enhance the reading experience if not the "clicking" one!

Last edited by billyray520; 04-05-2018 at 08:10 AM.
billyray520 is offline   Reply With Quote