View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
LET ME SAY THIS FIRST: I Don't use Duokan, I have never installed it, just looking for clarification.

Okay that said. Also: You might consider putting future questions about Duokan on the relevant thread. Then people who know stuff will get a notification.

The files:

The ENABLE_DIAGS file is just a blank file. in the future you can just make a blank one
(on linux touch ENABLE_DIAGS)
(on kindle touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS)

You say you made it to step 6. so you have your networking all setup (nice one) in DIAGS via usbnet.

Step 6 says:

Quote:
6. IP configuration, perform jailbreak, install DuoKan:
6.1 Open the package with the DuoKanTool.exe, enter the recorded
Kindle serial number;
6.2 Select Kindle Type drop-down list the type, such as Type 1, click
Install, Note: tif he installation is successful, the command line
dialog box will close automatically. If Access Denied, please
turn off the command line, re-select another Type, and then click Install.
I don't understand what type one and type two are to be honest.

nor do I understand what the access denied message means?

However. Since the System_DK files were dumped on FAT (IIRC I did look at the install once) the only risk is that in some way the installer craps up your kindles main system.

I would have to know more about what the installer actually "does" - as in end product.
does it just completely replace the 4's main OS?

I see a splash screen - is there not a selection mechanism (like long pressing the home button or something that will allow bypassing a corrupted install?)

I guess the options are

a) figure out exactly what the installer changed (an exact copy of your system before the install would be been handy for doing a side by side for example) and roll them back before a reboot remotely - let's assume you don't have that. nor can you.

b) just kill the process (either by power, or remote) and see what a reboot brings. (possibly total death - I have no idea) and see if maybe you can invoke a kindle startup script before a reboot. have a dig around see if any files are updated recently (check the date for example on folders) if you are golden, then reboot.

c) keep waiting (this seems futile after this length of time), try to get in remotely in the interim and use HTOP or TOP to see if the process is actually hung... then kill it.
repeat above process.

These are the things I would do for any seriously critical situation like that.

Not Duokan specific. HTH.

Last edited by twobob; 11-27-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: ENABLE_DIAGS
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote