View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #170
skirs
skirs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Right after "Welcome to Kindle!" there is a login:, hard to see because of status messages. You have a very short amount of time to type "root" <enter> and then it will ask for your password. You can type that quickly, and then paste a clipboard full of commands that you already copied from a script.

The minimum you need to do is "touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS". Then it should reboot to diagnostics mode, where there is more that can be done. On a k4, you can export an SSH shell. On a touch, you can either run /mnt/us/runme.sh or push a reverse shell using netcat (nc).
I cannot do login because my Kindle does not react on my keyboard input from Putty or RealTerm programs.

I put ENABLE_DIAGS file on USB disk (when Kindle exports this for few seconds) but Kindle does not react on this also. It is still constantly rebooting.

Unfortunately, I have no digital oscilloscope here to check what kind of signal is on the TxD line when I am trying to send something. But, just before I have started to build 5V->1.8V adaptation scheme, I checked with analog oscilloscope what is the signal on the TxD line. I used simple batch file for this with only two command inside: echo "1234567890" > COM4 and 1.bat after. 1.bat is the same file.

So, now, I cannot understand what kind of problem I have. Probably, by some reason, my USB->RS232 adapter does not send any signal to Kindle, or probably, Kindle currently is in some "do not receive anything from Serial line" mode.

Did you or probably your friends ever meet the same problem?

Last edited by skirs; 02-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.
skirs is offline   Reply With Quote