View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #57
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I was thinking this part would more than pay for itself, by reducing internet traffic. The sorts of pirates likely to be caught are those who download masses of large files, perhaps more than they will ever be able to read, view, or listen to -- thus slowing down my own tiny email and news traffic
Those pirates make up a small portion of an ISP users so: (i) aren't slowing down your connection one iota; and (ii) the marginal cost of bandwidth is tiny for ISPs, so given the small numbers involved, would likely not "more than pay for itself" or even register as much of a blip on an ISPs radar - legal services like Hulu and Netflix use vastly more of an ISPs bandwidth.

Honestly, maybe you should stick to facts rather than just blue-skying.

Quote:
There is a possibility that I will have to pay a few cents to lock up the likes of Dotcom -- who, if guilty, I hope gets a fine and probation. But if you are talking about the coming cooperation between ISP's and copyright holders, that doesn't come out of taxes.
The costs of taking down Kim Dotcom is irrelevant to this discussion. I don't know what "the coming cooperation between ISP's [sic] and copyrightholders" is coming from and it doesn't seem relevant to a discussion on 3-strike laws, but greater enforcement requires more taxpayer money; laws typically aren't freebies. The ISPs in the U.S. are pursuing agreements with ISPs, but that's not what we're talking about.

Quote:
As for false accusations, the same can happen when someone is mistakenly accused of shoplifting a book that would otherwise be remaindered and pulped. You can never reduce wrongdoing if there is absolute zero tolerance for mistaken accusations. Now, if false accusations seem to be common, I might change my mind, but I want to see some evidence first.
You've grossly missed my point. My point was that false-accusations have a cost, and if people are paying that cost for no benefit (i.e. 3-strikes laws failing to increase sales), then one has to wonder what the point of the system is.

If I periodically took $20 out of my wallet and threw it in the garbage, you'd probably think I was nuts. Effectively, French government is doing exactly that if it's shown that this law is of no benefit.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote