View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #54
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Money is also spent indirectly by ISPs that need to comply with laws that require them to monitor, and in setting up and maintaining government bureaucracy to monitor for and send out letters in relation to infringement.
I was thinking this part would more than pay for itself, by reducing internet traffic. The sorts of pirates likely to be caught are those who download masses of large files, perhaps more than they will ever be able to read, view, or listen to -- thus slowing down my own tiny email and news traffic.

Quote:
There's also a loss to the citizens who end up having to pay taxes to support this scheme and defend against false accusations of infringement.
There is a possibility that I will have to pay a few cents to lock up the likes of Dotcom -- who, if guilty, I hope gets a fine and probation. But if you are talking about the coming cooperation between ISP's and copyright holders, that doesn't come out of taxes.

As for false accusations, the same can happen when someone is mistakenly accused of shoplifting a book that would otherwise be remaindered and pulped. You can never reduce wrongdoing if there is absolute zero tolerance for mistaken accusations. Now, if false accusations seem to be common, I might change my mind, but I want to see some evidence first.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote