View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #53
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
This point seems a bit more relevant to discussions the war on drugs. I'm not saying that money is, or is not, wasted, just that we can agree a lot of money is spent there. At least in comparison, it seems to me that the money spent trying to stop piracy is minute.

Does anyone have statistics on how many people in the world are currently guests of the state -- any state -- because of pirating purely digital goods? I'm going to make a wild guess and say it's less than triple digits. Maybe a lot less. As it should be.

And how big is the squad who took down Dotcom?
Except money isn't just spent on jailing people. Money is also spent indirectly by ISPs that need to comply with laws that require them to monitor, and in setting up and maintaining government bureaucracy to monitor for and send out letters in relation to infringement. There's also a loss to the citizens who end up having to pay taxes to support this scheme and defend against false accusations of infringement.

If the law imposes a compliance burden and tax burden on citizens and seemingly benefits no one, one has to wonder exactly what the point is.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote