View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #49
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Has anyone considered that the music got so awful people stopped buying it and couldn't even be bothered to pirate it.

Just a theory
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
My music buying went way down after about the mid 90s for pretty much that reason. The industry would much rather blame piracy, than their own overall decline in quality.

Pretty much the same reason I borrow most books rather than buying. A person can only tell the same story so many ways, and I am highly picky about where I put my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i've hit the point where i have a stereotypical 'old person's' music collection i.e. not keeping up with any new bands and my taste hasn't evolved since a certain year lol. i think the most recent band i enjoy has been around for 20 years.

when they started taking the iron maiden and judas priest t-shirts off the walls in hot topic, i knew current music wasn't for me anymore . i don't know who these bands are these days....and i'm only 34.

there's really no way to track it but i'd bet my arm the secondary market is seeing increased sales. maybe instead of buying it new or pirating people are just buying their entertainments used. i've had decent success selling my own goods through amazon lately, i'm sure i'm not alone. i buy all my books from the publisher Pyr used. i don't have the $10-$15 to take a chance on first time authors and their books are only available in ebook and trade. if i can get a book for $1 in 'like new' condition as opposed to $15, i'm going for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I think getting older and being kind of "set" in my ways does have a lot to do with it. I'm 44, and while I have an appreciation for many musical styles, my own personal music collection that means a lot to me has pretty much been established.

Also, music has been one of those things for which I've never needed to dedicate lots of money. The radio, youtube, and buskers and so many various places to hear music. Also my own time for the instruments I play. I enjoy listening to myself and practicing.

My husband and I have recently enjoyed discovering new (to us) musicians via the NPR tinydesk concerts we view too.

I think where I have spent the most money is for my oldest daughter who loves J-pop, and various flavours of Asian music. So over the years, YesAsia has gotten a lot of money from me to build her collection. The other children like to listen to mostly things they hear on the radio or borrow from the library.

Just for you guys:

7 Scientific Reasons You'll Turn Out Just Like Your Parents

(Reason) #7. Your Brain Will Stop Getting Pleasure from New Music

MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote