View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Yep, these are great
I know. I've read them a decade ago, and want to reread them, but after reading on a Kindle for 1,5 years now, I loathe to hold a hardcover again. I re-read Shogun a short while ago, and halfway I switched to my hardcover to see if I still like it.

Font too small...
Book too big...
No reading with one hand and eating potato chips with the other

I've been pushing Musashi down my TBRR pile (To Be ReRead) because of this, but AnemicOak in another thread told me: "There's an ebook out now". And it was... Amazon and Kobo where hiding it from me in the search because I'm not in America. So, I've put in an American address, and was promptly able to see the books. Kobo's code Sept50 works, and I got both Musashi and Taiko at the price of €7.99 (seems to be around €6; the hardcovers cost e €30...). Pity that The Heiké Story was not available (in English) as an eBook too.

Quote:
Read Shogun when I was about 12, and reread a few years later and still wasn't particularly impressed. Yoshikawa is in a different league altogether IMHO.
It depends what sort of novel you want to read. Shogun is a good read, with good character development, and the mini-series (NOT the cut-back movie version) is one of my all-time favorites. I think I'm still in love with Mariko

Quote:
And Yasushi Inoue's The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan is also on Kindle now, it's a shame more of his books aren't on Kindle.
I have to check that out then. Maybe look at Kobo too. Sometimes one has books the other doesn't.

Yoshikawa wrote 53 books, but AFAIK, only 3 (Musashi, Taiko and The Heiké Story, considered to be his best three by many) are available in English.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote