View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Seraphine
Nameless Being

How presentable are scanned books?

Hi all,

James Clavell's Shogun has been on my to-be-read list for aeons, but moving from some of my heftier tomes (such as King's IT [1,376p]; Martin's A Dance With Dragons [1,017p]; Stephenson's Reamde [1,044p]) to ebooks has made me languish the size of Shogun - I wouldn't have blinked at carting around such a book in the past, and though I still do read plenty of hardcovers, I'm not inclined to read a paper copy of Shogun.

However, it doesn't seem to be available as an ebook - at least, not in my particular (heavily) geo-restricted area. I've been considering buying a cheap secondhand copy and sending it to 1DollarScan, or a similar service, to have it scanned and destroyed. I don't know the legalities around purchasing a paper edition and then pirating an electronic edition, so I don't even want to go there, but I'd be fine with having my own copy scanned and destroyed.

The thing I'm concerned about is the quality. OCR ebooks, as I'm sure you well know, can be quite hit and miss. I'll be reading the scanned book on a tablet, so the format being PDF isn't an issue and I won't need to (shabbily) convert it - but what's the quality of the PDF to begin with? Is it really as lovely as 1DollarScan leads me to believe? Has anybody here had any experiences, positive or negative, with 1DollarScan? I've used the search function, but topics are quite old or not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you.