View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
decisions, decisions - sony or ?

i had thought that since ereader was a sony format, that the sony 505 would be able to read it, and since the sony seemed to cover everything else i wanted, i was planning to get one.

but i just read at books on board that the sony won't read it. in fact, as far as i can tell, the sony 505 can't read anything at books on board, and that mobipocket is the format of choice there.

so... that leads me back to the question i thought i had answered for myself. what is the best reader that

1. reads text files (preferably without annoying conversion)
2. has a large selection of current books available widely
3. can read html or other formats found on the older stuff at baen, gutenberg, etc?
4. can read simple pdfs (no images or weird formatting)
5. has no backlight, no shiny screen
6. not too large - i read everywhere

i appreciate your help on this. i'm a complete newbie about electronic readers, but if i don't get one, we're going to drown under a huge and ever-growing pile of books - and besides, when you want a new book suddenly in the middle of the night, downloading is definitely the way to go
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote