View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
jtt
Connoisseur
jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: PB 622, PB 623
Hi rkomar,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Look within the /usr/dev directory within rootfs.img. Because the root filesystem is read-only, the device has to put modifiable files in /var, and stuff like /var/dev is copied there from other read-only places during the installation. It's a bit convoluted, but makes sense after a while.
Thanks, found it now, there's a dev.tar file in that somewhat surprising location;-) Looks a bit as if only the permissions on /dev/ptmx are relevant.

Quote:
As far as your crashes go, you could probably install strace or even gdb from the Debian lenny armel distribution on your device and then use something like utelnetd to run your program on the device and watch what happens.
Would love to do something like that but until now I can't get the WLAN stuff to work on my network with static IP addresses (and configuring it manually seems to be impossible due to permission issues:-( So at the moment I'm still reduced to having the program write some debug output into a file and download that after it crashed via USB. Feels a bit like writing device drivers where I also could only hope that some relevant information had made it to the kernel log files before the machine locked up;-)

Best regards, Jens
jtt is offline   Reply With Quote