Thread: Buy local
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcull View Post
I currently buy the majority of my books through an independent bookseller aand pay a little more to do so (about 10%). It makes long-term economic sense because it means that a local business providing jobs remains viable and my community has a fighting chance in the global economy.

That being said, if I purchase a Kindle, or equivalent, am I now wedded to the large transnational company? Or is it possible that my local bookseller will have access (at reasonable cost) to the e-books and a method of download?
First, if you are not REQUIRED to buy ebooks from Amazon not are you TIED to it in anyway. It is actually the publisers that insist on using DRM that prohibit you from buying there ebooks to use on your Kindle.

Secondly... if you want to be a local philanthropist take the money you save buy buying ebooks and donate it to the local bookstore... or even better to a local mission or foodbank.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote