View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #450
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
emphasis mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Now, let me get back to the serif - sanserif war.
He claims that he can only speed-read if the book is printed using serif font. He says that his eyes can't make a "snap-read" of the line if the words aren't connected by serifs. He also says that bad typography makes such fast reading very difficult [for him]
The speed reading your friend tought himself is very impressisve. Speed reading is always something that needs to be trained and practiced, no matter which method for it you are using. No doubt that requires extra concentration and as good as possible circumstances (good lighting, good print quality, good font). For him it only works with serif fonts, good serif fonts at that. That is not contradictory to what I said. It merely indicates that he prefers serif fonts if he even tries to attempt to read that fast. I am not aware that every speed reader has that same preference or not.

I won't argue about it though. There is studies that are in favor of one or the other, and studies that say it doesn't matter. All three of them cannot be true at the same time. I stand by my belief that serifs have aesthetic value only, and that is my very own opinion, not a fact.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote