View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #171
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Let me start by saying I haven't read a pbook in 3 years, since I purchased my first reader. I'm going to read ebooks only, unless that must read pbook comes along, and a must read pbook hasn't come along in three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

The way I see it, if 60% of voters prefer an e-book, then one will always win. ...
It wasn't prefer, it was ebook only. Seems like you are limiting participants. I was pretty gungo-ho when the club started, but lost interest once so many pbooks were being considered.

Quote:
... "Literary" itself is already a restrictive category and after that I'd rather keep the pool as wide as possible. ...
Potatoe, potato. You are limiting it by including pbooks, since people only want ebooks.

Quote:
Also, this isn't just about the winner, it's also about people discovering other books just through nominees, even ones that don't get fully nominated. ...
Again, I'm not going to read pbooks, so if they are nominated, then I'm going to ignore them. They actually waste my time, because I have to scramble to try and find them in ebook form, and they aren't.

Also, the lottery category doesn't make much sense then.
Quote:
... So, to me, putting in even a mention of e-books in the wording may make some hesitant to nominate certain works. Those works may not win, but they'll then be exposed to everyone reading the thread and some may decide to look into and possibly read that work anyway.

I see nominations not only as a process to a monthly selection but also as a discovery of possibilities.
If finding gems is really a concern, people can make a post like "this is a really life changing book, but it is pbook only, but you should definitely give it a read."
Quote:
I don't want to exclude anyone who only reads ebooks, but nor do I want to exclude the realm of non-ebook possibilities. So I think leaving it with no stated preference to any format is the best solution for everyone because e-books will still often win, but non-ebooks can still be nominated and discovered without hesitancy, and possibly even win now and then, if that's what the voters prefer.
Well, you just excluded me.

Enjoy the club, I'll check back in next year.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote