View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is full of truly "uplifting" quotes. One of my favourites, from the blub of book 2 is:

This story will be a rare treat, one that will make the blood bound faster in the arteries of any real American boy. A narrative of surpassing interest and thrilling adventures in the military cadet's life is promised.

Makes me proud to be, er, British

Books of this type, for both boys and girls, were published by the thousands between about 1890 and 1920.

I'm not making fun of them, by the way. I collect these juvenile "series books" and think they're absolutely wonderful. It's great to think that there really was a time - and not all that long ago - when people could write the kind of stuff I quote above and actually mean it. Imagine the reaction you'd get if you said that kind of thing to a teenager today?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote