View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
My house was imported from Middle Earth so all the light switches are operated by magic.
Flown in on magic carpets, I s'pose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
You're right, of course. For years and years, the power switch on computers and printers was on the back too. However, somebody finally learned (excepting Amazon.)
The one that still gets me when I think about it (though I'm used to it now and usually don't) is the power symbols on power switches: On is a line and off is a circle.

I suppose that made sense to whoever came up with it and implemented it, but from an electronic/electrical perspective, it's backwards. The circle, being a closed figure, is more representative of a circuit that's on -- they call them circuits because they only work when they're "closed." Whereas the line is more like a circuit when it's off because the ends aren't touching and it's an open figure, just like a circuit when it's off is "open."

So if you know anything about circuits and try to decide based solely on the symbols themselves which is which, you're going to arrive at a conclusion that is simple, logical and wrong.

Since most of the world either doesn't know enough about circuits, or doesn't think things through like that ... or some combination of the two, and we've all gotten used to it over the last ten years or so since they started using it, it works well enough. That is, as long as malcontents like myself don't get reminded of how it's all backwards and work themselves into a froth over it yet again.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote