View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #96
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I'm skeptical that he could make a living solely as a writer; not that he isn't talented, but he hasn't been very productive historically (in terms of producing books, I mean).
Just to clarify, you don't need to necessarily be "productive" (as defined by producing books) to make a living as a writer. You could write one (or a few) book, and if they consistently sell well, you're good to go.

There are also the business endeavors that pop up due to your popularity (i.e. speaking engagements, movie deals, etc.), but I don't know if you count that.

Here's an estimate breakdown of Doctorow's income a few years back: http://blog.fawny.org/2009/07/29/doctorow-income/
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote