View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyto alba View Post
In diags - usbnet mode the Kindle registeres on lsusb as
Bus 001 Device 019: ID 0525:a4a2 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget
OK - So your host machine is running Linux.

Quote:
And here is what I belive to be the problem:
Nmap scan report for 192.168.15.244
Host is up (0.00017s latency).
Not shown: 998 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
And that address is (in the Kindle world) used by the K5-Paperwhite, not the K4.

Quote:
I tried the usbNetwork hack from this site but this didnt change anything (visible?). Any sugestions on how to enable ssh/open the port?

Thanks

ta
So, by copying my own quote in the "HowTo" threads, with address pair added from the K4 README file:
Note: This presumes that you have KUAL installed along with the USBnetwork control button.)
Quote:
This order should work on all firmware versions.
Early firmwares, v-2 and v-3 may also work with the cable attached.
  • un-plug cable (if still plugged in)
  • toggle USBnetwork ON in the KUAL launcher
  • plug the cable
  • kill any automation (or configure yours to do: )
  • sudo ip link set up dev usb0 (It may already be up, no harm in upping it twice)
  • [for Kpw]sudo ip address add 192.168.15.201 peer 192.168.15.244 dev usb0
  • [for K4] sudo ip address add 192.168.2.1 peer 192.168.2.2 dev usb0
  • use the networking until your done (telnet or ssh to the 'peer' address)
  • un-plug cable
  • toggle USBnetwork OFF in the KUAL launcher
Note 1: You can assign **both** point-to-point link addresses to usb0 - the network stack can deal with that and the "ip" utility will take care of updating the routing tables for you.

Note 2: If you are running devices on a 192.168.x.y network which use the general routing rules, these ptp rules will be tested first. I.E: If your (something) is already using 192.168.2.2 on your local network, the packets for that address will now go to the Kindle. (that address seems popular with router and modem manufacturers)

Last edited by knc1; 07-21-2013 at 08:08 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote