Thread: KFX Format
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #710
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
I was just hoping for an easy way to modify the metadata when necessary while still using the KFX format. I'll just have to get over my OCD and use the search function to find titles instead of a nicely organized alphabetical list.
Since you don't care about those other features you should be able to change the title of a book in KFX format using the existing tools. It will take a number of steps to accomplish.
  • You will need to have the KFX Input, KFX Output, and DeDRM plugins installed in calibre.
  • Since calibre's "Add books to library" function does not work in Device view for KFX format, the easiest way to add the book is attach your kindle via USB, open an Explorer view of the "documents" folder on the device, and drag the desired book from there to the calibre window in Library view. If all goes well you will then have a book entry in your calibre library for that book showing KFX format.
  • Change the title of that book in the calibre library to whatever you like.
  • Use "Configure this device" to make sure that the ".kfx" format list checked as an available format for your Kindle.
  • Use "Send to device" to send the book back to your Kindle in KFX format. This will update the metadata in the book and send it back to the Kindle as a new book.
  • After ejecting the device and syncing you should see the book under both the old and new names. Remove the original from the device if you wish.

This procedure should work, but I can't guarantee that there won't be side-effects from doing this.

Update: I tried the above instructions and it did not go well. The Kindle acted very oddly with two copies of the "same" book on it. For example, I was unable to delete either of the copies. Perhaps removing the original before adding the new one would have worked better. I don't know, but I'm not going to test this any further.

Added: Use these instructions at your own risk!

Last edited by jhowell; 07-26-2018 at 03:43 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote