View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Screen and Kindle Quality Control

hi guys, a little bit of a rant, but also an experience to share regarding my recent Oasis adventure. i've previously owned a PW2 and PW3 (still have these), and recently i have tried out three Oasis:

- Oasis 2 (2017): near perfect screen. could see a very slight color gradient at a couple light levels, but did not affect my preferred lighting levels (dark room, 6-8). no cones/scalloping whatsoever. But, it was uncomfortable to hold lying in bed, so i had to return it (and i still miss it and it's wonderfully clean bigger screen):
- Oasis 1 (2016): light cones and screen gradient evident at my preferred light levels (not visible in daylight or light levels over 11-12 in daylight/indoor lighting). after living with this for two weeks, i decided to see i if could get a better unit. the gradient was livable, but the cones were distracting (two prominent ones which were hard for me to ignore)
- Oasis 1 (2016): light cones MUCH reduced from first unit..noticeable, but i would say about 1/4 the intensity for the worst cone compared to the old unit. gradient even better too. not noticeable unless i was really staring hard and looking for it. BUT: this unit was possessed: touch screen flakey, buttons flakey, would randomly start doing things like highlighting text even though nothing was touching the screen. so this had to go back. they are sending me a replacement unit without accessories and asking me to just send the Oasis reader itself back.

in addition to this, comparing the two Oasis 1's side by side, the first unit had much better contrast (blacker blacks) than the second unit. in the end, i could live with this, but it was very noticeable. it almost looked as if bold was turned onto level 1 vs no bolding, when in fact, but were set with zero bold font.

in short, as many of you probably are aware of in your experience, Amazon's quality control or tolerances for light cones, gradient, and contrast is very broad. i know i fall on the "picky side" of the spectrum, but to me, the differences from unit to unit i've seen are very visible (and confirmed by my wife's eyes even though in the end, she's ok with her somewhat splotchy PW2 and likes the 212 dpi resolution which appears to be higher contrast than the 300 dpi of my PW3.

i wish i had more confidence in what i am going to find on Tuesday when the third Oasis 1 arrives at my door...
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote