View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #745
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well I used both version of the code and managed to get Lost in Shangri-la and The First Crusade (or something like that) for about $3 and change! I don't give a damn about ethics-if a company gives me a coupon then I'm going to use it!
I certainly don't begrudge you using the 75% off codes, a point can be legitimately made that Kobo could block you from applying it to your account if they so chose. The ethics of it are a separate issue from that, IMO.

That said, it is important to note that they did not give you the coupon. Had it arrived in your inbox and you were invited to use it, the issue would be clear. They did not invite you to use it though, so you are mistaken to say they did. Failing to block you in their system from using a code offered to someone else is not the same as Kobo giving you a coupon. What you're describing is akin to finding a rain cheque certificate in a parking lot on the way into the store; it wasn't intended for your benefit.

If you justify it on the basis that they gave it to you, then you should consider the fact that they did not give it to you (unless you in fact did receive it in your inbox). If, on the other hand, you still simply "don't give a damn about ethics" and feel no need to justify it, then pay that no heed.

Again, this is not an attack on anyone who used the code, just a philosophical discussion of some interest to me. Thank you everyone who replied.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote