View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll make a comment on the "Kobo should add these as options" that is everyone's opinion. That isn't as easy as it sounds. And adding options to existing code can be even harder. If we add a new option, say one to not display the title in kepubs, this is what needs to be done:

- Decide where to display the option
- Word the text and any help for the option
- Add code to read and save the option as part of the settings
- Add code to use the option
- Unit test the change to make sure it does what is intended
- Test the change as part of the product to make sure it works and doesn't break something else

The above is a simplification. And the first two steps are a lot more important than you think and can lead to a lot of discussion in the development team.
David, I don't disagree with your comment. I only missed the word flexibility in the first entry of the list.
This is imo what Kobo should keep more in mind and give users more control to enable or disable options or features. As I and others have mentioned earlier, other ereader manufactures have implemented similar features but in a more customizable way.

Quote:
Should Kobo hire the author of the patcher? I have no idea.
I don't know either but I do know that he touched a chord as it is one of the most popular kobo patches available.
To hire or not to hire but this should tell Kobo that something needs to be done with the amount of screen space the header/footer hijacks from the actual screen space available for reading.
And yes, showing book information in a header and footer can be useful but is not a necessity.
The patch "proved" that reducing (not hiding!) the margins of the footer did not encumber the readability of the displayed footer text.

Quote:
"Kobo should add these as options" that is everyone's opinion.
True. But there are many little tweaks available for more experienced users by modifying the kobo.conf configuration file.
The question is: Why are these tweaks not accessable through the GUI? And no, I don't mean every single one of them, but the most useful should be accessable through the GUI.

The Reading settings section of the GUI should enable/disable:
  • Online Wikipedia Lookup
  • Phrase Translation
  • Thesaurus
  • Book Specific Statistics
  • Use Full Book Page Numbers

Just to name a few. No technical features or features for developers only.

Last edited by Anak; 09-20-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote