View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As I mentioned on Github, I don't see those 404's (and I don't see how an HTTP domain that doesn't redirect to https:// can possibly result in an SSL certificate error), but regardless I've decided to use calibre's internal update notifier logic for that check anyway for separate reasons. It's a bit cleaner in terms of nested logic, and it is also future-proof as long as calibre maintains the same API which seems reasonable.
Note that calibre's internal update notifier logic embeds the private SSL certificate for that subdomain.

Code:
from calibre.gui2.update import get_newest_version
get_newest_version() # returns a tuple of the version from http://code.calibre-ebook.com/latest

On a side note. I've started gpg-signing my commits and tags, as well as the release archive (deterministically regenerated locally). So in case you wanted to check the PGP signature of this script -- which, since it just uses linux-installer.py, downloads and installs calibre without checking the PGP signature of calibre that is in fact available for checking -- you can now do that.

Regarding which, my PGP key fingerprint is:
Code:
BD27 B07A 5EF4 5C2A DAF7  0E04 8481 8A68 19AF 4A9B
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote