View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #52
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, when you say, would they show a reduced image, no--it would be full-screen, like a regular book cover. 1800x2700 is huge, bigger than most Kindle screens.
Thanks Hitch. Very helpful stuff. I tested an 800X1200 image (of a backmatter cover) at 75% and I'd say it took up a good two thirds of the screen.

Quote:

Yes, you can do that absolutely. The plugin has specific functions. It will do those on your copy, and then yes, you can take that HTML file and paste it over what you have in the original (make sure you get the CSS!)
But the plugin doesn't change the CSS. It just removes any CSS that's not being used, right? It doesn't add anything. And nothing in my CSS pertains to my backmatter images.

Quote:
Nope. It should look fine. I mean...MAYBE it might look a bit odd on a Fire 10", in landscape mode, but it should be perfectly fine on everything else, I should think.

I'm trying to save you delivery fees. If you're really worried, use a 500px wide cover instead. I recommend you try it with the 300px wide, and see how it looks.

Hitch
Yeah, that's good advice. I will.

I just ran a test on an actual book with SlowSmile's stuff. (And I didn't do anything to the CSS.) Well, KDP did some minor funky stuff (showing two identical images in slightly different sizes), but the 200X300 images at 33% looked small in my Kindle Touch 7 but not tiny (as they had before with I included the "width" and "height" stuff in the HTML tags). And it looks fine in my Kindle HD 8. (And I noticed that the landscape mode does not follow the % specified. For instance on one image I had 50% specified and that's the way it looked on portrait--and I was expecting it to be blurry and stretched in landscape--but in landscape it was bigger but only took up about a third of the screen.)

I ran a 300X450 image at 75% and that was clean and sharp but it seemed too big on the Kindle and the HD 8 tablet.

One image I ran at 800X1200 at 75% and it took up nearly identical screen space as the 300X450 at 75%.

<head shake>

And also kind of confusing. When I downloaded the KF8 (.azw3) and sideloaded it to my Kindle, the images still followed the % stuff in there. Is that because my Kindle 7 is too new? (The KF8 stuff is for really old Kindles?)

Anyway, yeah, I'm going to run another test with the 300X450 and different size images and some using SlowSmile and some using the "width" and "height" stuff (it seems like that should be in there. That's what the CSS School says anyway). And I'll report back.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote