View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well it fails because the Perl module handling the file cannot unpack a format that I think is not documented. If there is documentation available then the problem is solvable. But if the format is a secret MobiPocket format than I think it should not be used. Secret formats always leads to problems.
I have a query in at the MobiPocket forums about whether documentation for their algorithm exists.

Frankly, I'm torn. I understand your concern, but storage space is finite.

Most of my ebooks are in Plucker format, and I always use the High Compression option, which uses a Palm port of ZLib and provides zip/gzip compatible compression instead of the standard Palm "doc" compression.

If I didn't do that, I'd have had to upgrade from a 2GB SD card to a 4GB card long ago for the volume that holds my Plucker documents. (I have about 3,200 Plucker files occupying about 1.5GB on that card.)

Using High Compression in MobiPocket becomes an issue if someone wants to use MobiPerl to manipulate the files because your code can't uncompress them.

I'm mainly concerned that anyone can read a Mobi file I create. The number of folks who might want to use MobiPerl to manipulate them will be a small subset of the total number who might read them.

For stuff I create for myself, I'd likely use High Compression. For stuff I upload elsewhere, it's a quandary, and I'm thinking.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote