View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I try to finish all the books I start reading. For those books that I intensely dislike, I tend to just skip through the novel. Depending on the flow of the novel, I'll read only the first line of paragraphs, or maybe just read the first couple start and end paragraphs of the chapter, or maybe skipping whole chapters. I notice that most books have "catch up" sections, maybe where the protagonist is explaining to another character what is going on, so I tend to look out for those as the "story so-far" filler.

It may sound a weird way to read, but I satisfy my OCD and have "finished" the book. You probably think, "how can you understand the book reading that way", strangely while I might not have the in depth understanding of the book, which I have already decided I don't care about, but I can certainly understand the broad brushstrokes of the story, its direction and conclusion.

I just completed the Divergent books, and that is exactly what I did there. I was so surprised as I really enjoyed the movies, but thoroughly disliked the books.

Oh, geez, don't get me started on The Silmarillion. WTF was that about. It was one of the rare books that I just closed, marked as 1 star and placed the dreaded "Never Read Again" tag on the book. The first couple of chapters and I had already been introduced to 500 odd characters. It was written "bible-like" and sounded like one long recital of a family tree. Boron, son of Gloin, father of John, cousin of Terry, Uncle of George, blah, blah, blah. And people go crazy for this book???
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote