View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I think that collaboration and networking are very valuable additions to a full-featured academic tech solution, and that there's plenty of potential in developing computer software for this purpose. A few years ago, I taught some classes in a computer lab with some very badly designed software to control the class network. With the client software installed on all the computers, I could set them up to be manipulated by the central server in a few ways. I mostly just used it for broadcasting images/slides/videos as one would normally do with a projector and screen, but saw that there was potential there.

Of course, that's using local hardware. What if the students had their own computers/tablets? How willing would they be to install some bloated crapware on their device, just to participate in my class?

If we move this to a simpler web browser-based login, many teachers will worry about students dicking around and doing other things like gaming or social networking. Keeping the LAN off the internet isn't really a useful solution either.

However, that's mostly inside the classroom, where student independence is generally somewhat sacrificed in the interest of time efficiency. In the classroom, I have not given much thought to a paradigm that could connect all the dots without rage and frustration.

Outside of the classroom, on the other hand, is a completely different kind of story. Connectivity allows a lot of conscious collaborative work, but it must be quick and convenient. A software application would need to be benign and unobtrusive, with a well-designed UI that would encourage its adoption. I remember when I first tried WebCT several years ago, and thought it was pretty much just a hassle and waste of time. I've been out of that loop for some time though, and I don't know what kinds of inroads it's made, if any.

But perhaps before all this connectivity and community and collaboration and whatever other C words come up, a device must be attractive for autonomous use. Multiple document handling, web browsing, annotation, all these things must seem fairly natural, and not just a gadgety contrivance. Good UI, relatively light weight and thin, and good battery life. Speed will be key. It may not seem like much of a problem, but a lot of people do not want to use their computers in classrooms due to space conflicts and speed (boot speed in particular).

Anyway...I'm optimistic, but there's a lot that needs to be done on the independent research device side of things (though most of the pieces are available, they're not being integrated) before extending their functionality in terms of collaboration and classroom use. Seems pretty damn ambitious for just one or two independent research groups.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote