View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
TIP: Attention: All Book Designer users creating .IMP books...

First, thank-you for supporting this "end" format, especially if you don't own the ebookwise 1150.

I just discovered a fix (tip/trick) that will greatly enhance the enjoyment of the ebookwise (.IMP) community: A WAY TO CHANGE TO A LARGER FONT SIZE.

Any .IMP ebook created with Book Designer uses only 'x-small' font for the main text, but not because it is explicitly forced to by BD.

The story goes like this ...

I was tinkering with BD recently and noticed that in the imp directory (in the default install directory) while it is making the ebook, it saves an intermediary/temporary file ending with .oeb. I was fast enough to grab this file and discovered that NO FONT SIZE was being used. I opened and unpacked the .oeb in eBook Publisher and produced a .IMP ebook that had a larger font size than the one BD produced. Hmmm...

I knew that recent versions of eBook Publisher adopted the 'small' font size as its default; whereas, the BD used 'x-small' font size as its default. But BD doesn't set this default, so it must come from the 'PubUtil21.dll' (version 2.1.4.5) in the BD install directory.

The eBook Publisher uses two similar files, namely 'PubUtil21.dll' (version 2.1.4.6) and 'PubUtil22.dll' (version 2.2.4.1) located in the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\eBook Technologies . First, I tried just replacing the BD 'PubUtil21.dll' with the same (but newer version) .dll, but it didn't adopt the 'small' font size. Second, I renamed the 'PubUtil22.dll' to 'PubUtil21.dll' and replaced the BD one with that one. Eureka! BD can now produce .IMP ebooks with a (one size) larger font with this fix.
FIX #1: Below I include this renamed 'PubUtil21.dll' (really 'PubUtil22.dll' version 2.2.4.1) that needs to be placed in the BD directory, overwriting the older one. Just unzip it there and you have installed this fix!
As my test sample, I used Patricia's ebook, (Pseudo)Aristotle_ The Works.prc. I attach the temporary .oeb file and the .imp version produced by BD before this 'fix' and after.

Judge for yourself. Which book would you rather read?

This 'fix' may have to be applied again when BD is updated/re-installed, but it is a small price to pay.

Enjoy!

EDIT 20 Feb 2008: for TIP #2: BD now allows true margins in resulting .IMP files... see post #6 below

-Nick
Attached Files
File Type: zip PubUtil21.zip (1.33 MB, 2052 views)
File Type: imp The Works of Aristotle_before.imp (869.5 KB, 1877 views)
File Type: imp The Works of Aristotle_after.imp (890.4 KB, 1828 views)
File Type: zip The Works of Aristotle.oeb.zip (238.9 KB, 1800 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-20-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: now mention there is a Tip #2 / Fix #2
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote