View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
Just curious, why isn't the nook for you, rhadin? I read the forums here all the time and it helps me write better reviews when I understand what folks want in a reader. Granted there are all sorts of things all sorts of ppl want, but there are generally common themes.
Though this question isn't to me, I thought I would weigh in on it.

When I first considered getting an ebook reader, I drew up a list of requirements that looked something like this:
  • Larger than 6" screen because I work with a lot of letter sized PDFs and diagrams
  • Touch scree because I would like to take notes on my PDFs and not have to print them out.
  • WiFi and 3G because I spend a lot of time on planes and at airports. Would like to buy books intantaneously.
  • RSS capabilities because there is a lot of material available for my industry on the Web and since I am mobile, the content should be as well.
  • The ability to read documents in many open formats because I don't believe in my content and/or data being tied to any one hardware or software platform.

I was excited about the Sony Daily Edition since it seemed to meet all my requirements. I wanted it to help me out in my work as well as my leisure time. A couple of weeks ago, I bought one.

It met my expectations except for the contrast which was disappointing. I had to use a book light to read where I usually read paper books with ease.

So I returned to researching and decided I could live without the touchscreen if I only thought of my next device as a leisure item. After reading about the new firmware update here, I bought a nook. I will unwrap it when I get home Thursday but I expect it to meet all my requirements except the touchscreen.

I am an IT architect and tend to ask myself how something could be improved. In the case of the nook, I think it has a world of possibilities if B&N plays it smart. Here are a couple of suggestions (if the management of that company reads this forum):
  • Consider architecting the software to allow the free use of plug-ins. This is an inexpensive way to extend the value of the device to its users without having to manage software support and delivery. It may also allow the company to shift resources to providing an app store to further enhance the value.

In other words, align the rules around the device with the behavior of the people using it. If people are hacking the device, don't void the warranties, embrace the hacks through a framework allowing plug-ins. The hacks indicate needs that are not being fulfilled.
  • The borrowing feature is a great idea and probably quells publisher fears of piracy. Consider removing the time limit on the lending as well as the one-time lending limit. We don't do that with physical books; why do it with digital? This is a measure that would build community around the device.
  • Think about readers and what they do before, during and after reading a book. There is room for revenue generation there and it doesn't involve advertising.

I could go on but, well, I am a consultant and can't afford to give my wares away for free.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote