View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #44
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Part of the disconnect is that we're not likely to hear from the people who are perfectly content with their Amazon jobs (of which I'm sure there are many--white- and blue-collar). Because that's not newsworthy at all.
Of course it's not newsworthy. Why report about happy workers? That doesn't sell newspapers or works as click bait.

I'm not too worried about what Amazon pays. There are hard jobs, and really hard jobs, and you have to know going in that you've agreed to work the hour for the wage. A lot of my extended family has worked production lines on and off, and none are a picnic.

So far, the worst I've heard is meat packing. That will mess you up pretty bad, arms and joints and the workers come and go constantly because of wear and tear of throwing huge chunks of meat around to get cut down and wrapped. I hear the chicken line at Perdue is hell on earth.

But I rarely hear anyone campaign against buying meat anywhere because those workers aren't getting high wages.

For Amazon, I've only heard good things. A distantly related couple I knew lived the RV life, and would work at Amazon from October to December when they got busy. They then could take that money and head south in January and it supplemented their savings until the next October. Last I heard, they went back every year for quite a few years. I think they may have retired from it now. There were always people on the list to work that season.

https://roadslesstraveled.us/rv-work...n-camperforce/

So, I take the Amazon horror stories with a grain of salt. If they were bad enough, no one would work there. But they do. They're rarely the only jobs in town.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote