View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #187
whit-merule
whit-merule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Problem reading epubs converted from html on 1.9.14

Hi all,

I suspect this is a problem with 1.9.14, as it started on the same day as I upgraded my Kobo Touch to use that. Until that point, I could read epubs converted from an html file created in MS Word (ie, have a word document open in word, save it as html using word's internal functionality, convert it in calibre or similar to an epub, drag/drop onto the kobo).

Formatting, table of contents etc would remain intact from my word document - particularly useful, as I often use my KT and a notebook (the actual paper kind!) to edit my own work.

After the upgrade to 1.9.14, however, I found I couldn't read these epubs on my KT anymore. While calibre's internal epub reader has no problem with them, if I open them on the KT every page looks blank - although the number of pages, the size of the file, and even the table of contents remain intact.

This only occurs (so far as I can find) with epubs created by this method. Epubs created by converting html files from a website, or by converting a pdf file, or downloaded directly as epubs, don't have this problem - and neither, weirdly enough, do epubs created by this method which were on my KT before the shift to 1.9.14.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this just me, or some weird behaviour on the part of my KT? Or is my brain just too frazzled tonight to notice something that ought to be really obvious?

Thanks!
whit-merule is offline   Reply With Quote