View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
ltamote
ltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505 (500 dead); PRS-600; Kindle 2; PRS-300; Kindle 3
Similar Upgrade Failure

I thought I would add my version of a PRS-500 upgrade failure to this thread. (Forgive me if too long or not in the right thread...)

I bought the PRS-500 the week it came out in 2006 and have LOVED it ever since. Passed up on the exchange-for-a-505 offer because of button layout, folding cover issues, aesthetic reasons, and because not enough time had elapsed since I spent so much on the 500.

Then I got the announcement about the Sony store and EPUB. I didn't want to wait on the 500 "upgrade path," so I bought a PRS-600 and held on to the 500 for strong sentimental/functional reasons. Turns out, I ended up loving the 600, as well. (Glare issue or not, what doesn't get mentioned as much as it should be is how FAST this device is.) After hearing good things about other people's 500 upgrade experience, I sent mine to Laredo on Nov. 30.

What happened after is a long, yucky story (and Laredo Beatrice was the lowest point of all). The upshot is that my 500 could not be flashed and I, finally (Jan. 6), ended up with a replacement 505. After hearing all the absolute raves, I was expecting a lot. In short, I feel that the 505 is kind of cheap-feeling compared to my beloved 500. And, since I got it back after Dec. 10, it only reads EPUB. Which I - personally - hate. Someone on the forums compared EPUB to 90s-era websites, and that is the best description I've ever heard. I had purchased my entire Sony Store wish list prior to Dec. 10, just so I would have the nice LRX formats.

So, I'm glad I didn't send a 500 in perfect working order and receive nothing back, but I honestly would much rather have the 500 back, as it was, with its ability to read LRX. (And beautiful cover, and lovely finish, and great button layout...)

Please don't flame me for my, perhaps arbitrary, preferences. I just wanted to add another perspective.
ltamote is offline   Reply With Quote