View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
New firmware for the Sony Reader 505: NOW!

This may not be news anymore, but I confirmed with the SONY Reader product manager at CES that there will be a new firmware for the 505 which will include the ability to properly resize PDFs inside the reader [thus, without using rasterfarian].

I actually saw this PDF functionality and it works much better than on our 500's!

Some other things I noticed on the 505 [with the experimental firmware] are:
  • Alphabetically grouped book listings
  • Book delete function
  • Complete off option to conserve battery power
  • Some kind of Bookmark viewer in the Sony PC software.

There was also some talk of a future compatibility with a new Adobe book format but I didn't know what that was.

Alas, still no PLAY/PAUSE while reading a book, but I pounded that into Sony's head because I personnel love controlling my music without having to exit the book. Maybe next time.

Time line for the firmware is sometime in Late Feb 2008. Of course, I begged the manager to get these features into the 500. He said he is pushing for this to happen very hard.

Enjoy,
Fabian.

Last edited by flamaest; 01-14-2008 at 05:24 PM.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote