View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I should be clear that I don't consider the brightness issue a problem with the readers themselves as it affects every model that I've tried. It's me and what I'm comfortable with. With night mode it's not an issue, without it I can usually still find a tolerable level. Since I sleep alone I always have the option of turning off the device light and using a lamp.

However it's always worth handling a device yourself if you can because things like this are hard to evaluate otherwise, even from a video.

Whilst I use annotations I use them in an idiosyncratic way, so I rarely want to copy them. However I think there's a calibre plugin that allows you to copy them from a Kobo.

Well remember it's only KOreader that doesn't support annotation. The Kobo-supplied reader software does. I don't think the annotation of a bookmark works in KOreader either if that's what you mean.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that there's actually two built-in readers - one for epub and one for kepub. The later has different features which you may prefer. The former is based on an SDK provided by Adobe (which means it inherits some of its bugs). Someone else will remember all the features better than me the ones that stand out are the ability to show "page x of y" where y is the length of the chapter and "popup footnotes". If that sounds attractive then there's a Calibre plugin to create a kepub from a regular epub.

Not sure which reader gets used for PDFs and other formats.

Cinisajoy makes a good point about the jailbreak. I was referencing this obliquely when I said that there's evidence Amazon is cracking down. Basically AIUI the latest firmware (5.8.8) cannot be jailbroken with the current technique. Which means if you wanted a jailbroken kindle you'd need one with an earlier firmware. Once it's jailbroken you can upgrade it but you can't downgrade it if it's not jailbroken (you can with 5.8.7 and earlier) That's my understanding - check the Kindle dev forum for more details. Anyway since 5.8.8 is the current firmware at a certain point - if it hasn't happened already - new Kindles will start shipping with it pre-installed. 5.8.8 is fairly new so you may be able to get one with an earlier firmware if you act quickly.

I believe there is another known technique that could be turned into a jailbreak but last I heard the folks in the dev forum didn't have the time/person-power to do that any time soon. Also, for completeness, Kindles can be jailbroken by removing the cover and connecting to the serial interface - but I personally am squeamish about that.
I don't remember if it is the Voyage or the Oasis but one of them does not have the serial port.
(Sorry, I hang out in the KDF.)
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote