View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
so amazon spend a small fortune developing & promoting Bookerly for Kindles yet the font afficionados don't like it ?

where did they go wrong ?
It doesn't look to me like they spent even a miniscule fortune on it. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest they got an unpaid intern to bodge something together over a weekend, but they sure didn't employ Frutiger for the job.

Google for a review of Bookerly and you'll get things like this:-
"The Kindle Finally Gets Typography That Doesn’t Suck"
https://www.fastcompany.com/3046678/...at-doesnt-suck

"Instapaper founder Marco Arment once lamented that the Kindle’s typography and layout engine was so bad, it felt like it only had a staff of one person “who’s only allowed to work on it for a few weeks each year.” That’s apparently not true: Amazon tells me that the Kindle team is significantly larger than just one dude, although they refuse to give exact numbers."

For me, I think it's the x-height that I particularly don't like in Bookerly.

I prefer and use Veleka and Charis SIL - I used ChareInk on my previous Sony Reader, so i'm biased to towards it.

Last edited by Coops; 01-14-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote