View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Guess I will stay with LRF. I have just converted a book to EPUB using the default settings of HTML2EPUB, and I am quite disappointed. The speed is pretty good, except that the Reader does not parse the whole file at once - instead it "reformats" the book every time I try to follow a link. Apparently only some parts of my CSS file get interpreted (e.g. blockquotes are beautifuly formatted according to my specs while regular paragraphs are not). It seems images are displayed in full size while in LRF generated from the same HTML file the images are resized to fit the screen. But the most serious issue is that in EPUB, certain national characters are not displayed correctly - but they work perfectly in LRF. It may be that HTML2EPUB incorrectly detects encoding (the incorrect characters seem to be those few which are different in Windows-1250 and ISO-8859-2), I don't know. Still, the poor formatting and very poor performance with links seem like a serious problems with the Reader itself.
Try the --encoding option for html2epub. Also images not being resized is a html2epub vs. html2lrf thing, though I thought DE would automatically resize images bigger than the screen.

As for the links, that happens when the epub contains several HTML files (typically because the total content length is > 300K). But yeah DE is very unstable when processing links. I've seen epub files that crash when you click on an intext link and work when you use the same link from the TOC. I expect this will not get better until the next generation of hardware which for SONY at least will hopefully be sometime soon.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote