View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
The first word is Commerzienräte as in 'Oh, I could have spat at them: this crowd of paunchy Commerzienräte'. Hans von Bülow is bitterly complaining of the poor applause given at one of his concerts. What is he calling the people in the audience?

Also, should this word start with a K, in today's German? Would it have started with a K in 1939?
It starts with K in today's German and I found it with a K in the 1910 edition of the Muret-Sanders German-English dictionary.

I.e., it's safe to assume that it'd have been written with a K in 1939. Of course by then the honorary title Kommerzienrat had fallen out of use.

BTW, the Muret-Sanders dictionary defines Kommerzienrat as being roughly equivalent to Councillor of Commerce. IMHO, a better definition might be Captain of Industry.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-01-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote