View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #17343
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
After a very long period of reading almost nothing but young adult books, I find myself drifting back towards adult books, and lately I've been on a mystery kick.

I finally got around to reading The Cuckoo's Calling last week - wasn't blown away by it, but enjoyed it a great deal. A good, solid, well-plotted and well-written mystery; definitely above average in the genre and with lead characters I'd love to see more of. If JKR does write more Cormoran Strike books, as she's indicated, I'm very interested indeed.

I also finally got around to giving Laurie R. King's Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes series a try; I admit I've eyed those books with some curiosity for a while but as I've struggled with and not really enjoyed any Holmes incarnation before (either Conan Doyle's originals, which I've attempted to read a few times over the years, or the various screen incarnations), I was rather hesitant.

I'm really glad I finally gave them a go, though! I've read the first four now in quick succession (broken only by The Cuckoo's Calling) and have enjoyed them all very much, although so far, I think the very first one (The Beekeeper's Apprentice) is the best. I like Mary, the pace works for me, the mysteries are clever enough, and I actually almost think I could do with more Holmes in these books - King's version of him actually appeals to me a lot.
You might consider trying the Enola Holmes books by Nancy Springer.
Another take on Holmes. His sister is the detective. Very enjoyable IMO and good mysteries that are Holmsian in nature,

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote