View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #31
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Personally, I have no use for speed reading, I've never been interested in developing the technique. I really enjoy savoring every word, pausing to picture what I've been reading, thinking about what other thoughts must be running through the characters' minds, envisioning scenes and dialogs in my mind as if they were movies.

I'll never get through all the books I've got planned to read, not in my lifetime, not even with speed reading. When I finally realized that, along with realizing that it's alright not to have read every great book ever written, I felt a great feeling of freedom.

I read for the pleasure of it, at my own leisure, and if it takes me a week to read what others read in an afternoon, great. I get my enjoyable experience out of it, and I am hopeful that they get theirs.

Life's too stressful in so many other ways to add to it by trying to force my way through a long list of books at super-human speed.

But if others enjoy it at their own speeds, more power to them.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote