View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #76
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I often wonder if content providers really think of DRM as security against piracy or as consumer lock in.
I'd say providers use proprietary formats to create customer lock-in more than DRM. DRM, though intended for security, mostly just helps to cement the lock-in. But as it does it in more of a threatening way, it turns off customers.

DRM in the e-book field is pretty much used as a clumsily-wielded stick. The e-book industry needs to start offering more carrots--like standard formats and reasonable prices--so customers will play their game, and they can put the DRM-stick down and out of the way.

(Say... does anyone else hear screaming, somewhere off in the distance?

Oh... I think that's pshrynk, running pell-mell through the halls. Anybody got a carrot for pshrynk, to calm him down?)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote