View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #622
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
After finishing Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which I liked a lot, I have been listening to two favorites:

1. The Winds of Marble Arch by Connie Willis, read by Dennis Boutsikaris. This novella isn't exactly part of her time travel universe, but it features a business man who travels to London where he experiences echoes of the blasts of the Blitz in the tube stations. Very aptly read by Dennis Boutsikaris.

2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling, read by Stephen Fry. I know I am repeating myself, but I adore Fry's readings of the books. It was pure joy to listen to him again.

Today, I finished The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, the first book in his Laundry series. It also includes the novella The Concrete Jungle. I like the way he mixes magic and Lovecraftian horror with modern technology, and Bob Howard is a very likable character. There's also a lot of humour in these stories. It was read by Jack Hawkins who was new to me but whose performance I enjoyed quite a bit. Please note that this is the newly published British/European audiobook which seems to be geo-restricted like the already existing American editions.

For a bedtime book, I am listening to another old favorite: Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer, read by Jonathan Davis. It is the story of an atheist paleontologist dying of cancer who meets a creationist alien, quite an interesting pairing. It's nearly all philosophical discussion with very little action, so it obviously isn't for everybody. I haven't read it in a while and I am enjoying it a lot.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote