View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #62
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The Mini doesn't have an external card slot, so this is the only way to expand its memory.

For those devices that do have an external slot, with the current 2.5.x firmware there is no longer any real advantage in replacing the internal card vs using an external card. (With earlier firmware versions the cover images were not saved and had to be generated each time they were needed if the book was on an external card, so there was a reason to prefer to keep all books on the internal card.)
Good point!

I did it for 3 reasons personally.

1. I like to void warranties and tinker and hack and mod. It's FUN! (Which is why I tell everyone NOT to do this, if they read past they probably fit into this category).
2. Because I liked the idea of not being able to lose the MicroSD card with all my books. So this is permanently in their, instead instead of a card that could eject one day.
3. So I would have a full perfect backup of a stock SD memory of my Kobo

Speed didn't bother me really, it was a happy perk I accept Kobo's being slower than a book anyways.

But yeah, given the increase in speed with the pictures being loaded, it makes it much less functional and much more just for fun/warranty voiding
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote