View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know if anyone has just a layout, but I found Joshua Tallent's "Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide to Formatting Books for the Amazon Kindle" very helpful. And so was
http://www.robotcomics.net/2009/08/a...-doc-tutorial/
The web site deals with comics, but the info was helpful for a straight text novel, particularly the idea to put the TOC and other info at the back so that the Kindle sample is as large as possible. I had only a little experience with html, and between these 2 sources, I managed Kindle formatting that I can honestly say is better than 99% of what I've bought, whether from big pubs or indies.

I did the html files, then used Mobi Creator to actually make a prc file of my book. Then I put the book on my own Kindle and looked it over, tweaked a few things, redid it, etc., until I had what I wanted. If you don't have a Kindle, you can get Kindle for PC and still see what your book will look like. My understanding is if you upload a prc file to Amazon, nothing is changed, they just make your prc file an azw, so it seemed to me the safest way to make sure my Kindle book looked just the way I wanted.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote