View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Amazon doesn't have the power to unilaterally rework publishing contracts. If they don't have the rights to sell a book, they can't. Other stores are less rigorous about verifying where you live. They can get away with that by being small. Amazon has deep pockets and would be painting a big old target on their back if they were lax about such things. Hopefully getting into the market will encourage more publishers to work things out from the contract end. It's disappointing how many books they can offer right now but I don't think that's going to change if big sellers don't get into the market. I see it more as an investment in the future than a missed chance. After all, they didn't have that many books in the US Kindle store when they started and look at how it's grown.
What I meant by missed chance that at least here in Europe there is now no reason to buy a Kindle which only lets you buy Kindle DRM books at the Amazon store.
In Europe you are better of with one of the new e-readers that support ePub, so you do not depend on one store.
I would only buy a Kindle here in Europe, and accept the Amazon only DRM, if it would give me a lot more choice in books than other e-readers.
But now readers like the new Sony ones give you nicer hardware (at least in my opinion) and more choice in books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote