View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Occasionally sure, but for it to be effective as horror, it needed to avoid it to keep suspense and tension a little higher. That was all I was stating. I liked the reminiscent view in Tono-Bungay, but that's a different story.
I don't think Wells ever thought of it as a horror story. It was written as a an anti-vivisection tract and the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection was formed a couple of years later.
Also devolution and degeneration was a concern for European society at the time. If man could evolve, could he also de-evolve to a more primitive form? And of course Devo got their name from de-evolution and were inspired by the 1932 movie version of Well's book.

Last edited by BenG; 10-31-2011 at 11:45 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote