View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
I was going to start a new thread about this, but this thread seems to be pretty close to what I'm curious about. I have a K3 on order (shipped actually) - and haven't used a Kindle in the past (so pls. bear that in mind).

My questions are:

1) if you sideload non-Amazon ebooks (ebooks in .mobi or .prc Mobipocket format, converted in Calibre) via USB, assuming the metadata in the file is correct, will the books show up on the home screen properly and sort properly (that is, will the Author and Title be sortable, as opposed to what Amazon says about transferred personal documents, which is that they are shown on the home screen only by their filename?)

2) I assume that a PDF that is loaded via USB would be listed on the home screen under it's file name (or is there a filename convention that can be used so that the Kindle can extract the Author and Title from the filename?)

3) For either sideloaded ebooks or PDF's, can you still make notes, highlights, etc. (I realize that only Amazon titles would have the ability to sync last page read, be archived by Amazon, etc.)

- oh, and would a sideloaded (i.e. non-Amazon purchased) ebook still have the progress bar on the home screen?
thanks!

Last edited by jer989; 08-27-2010 at 05:02 PM.
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote