View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #35
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Public libraries aren't free any more than public schools are free. They're paid for by taxpayers. Some of that money go to the publishers, a bit of which hopefully ends up in his pocket. If he feels he does not get enough, he should take it up with his publisher.

I think there's even an argument to be made for compensating authors every time a book is loaned out. This is already the case in some countries. With ebooks and automation, this is more technically feasible than ever. But he seems to want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

From his rants, I suspect that this is more about philosophy than money. I'm curious what kind of stories he writes. Atlas Shrugged for kindergarteners?

---

Btw, I do think that artists are entitled to royalty. Creative output is hard and not easily repeatable. Harper Lee only wrote one book. Maybe she only has one book in her. Paul McCartney is not still cranking out one classic song after another. I don't think it's because rich and lazy: he just does not have it any more. If he were poor and starving, he'd be waiting tables and doing night clubs, not making great albums. It's a rare genius who can keep putting out great works throughout their life. So I think they should be able to coast, rest on their laurel a bit, depending on the quality/popularity of their work. Not life+70 years, but a bit.

Last edited by Barty; 02-15-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote