View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
MUST I have a Kindle to properly test, or will Kindle Previewer for PC do the job well enough?
Kindle Previewer usually does a very good job, but is not 100% reliable.

However, with the introduction of the new KF8 format, Kindles now support pretty much all ePub2 tags/styles and even some HTML5 and CSS3 elements. (Usually, only dropcaps styles are rendered differently. I.e., you'll probably have to use a variation of the dropcaps style recommended in the Amazon Publishing Guidelines.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
And if I do go down this long lonesome road, which format(s) do you recommend to use?
Since all current Kindle models (K3 and higher) support KF8, I'd recommend focusing on that format. (You can use media queries to cater for older devices. For more information see the Publishing Guidelines.)
Of course, you can also decide to only upload .azw3 files. (azw3 is the extension that Amazon uses for KF8 files.)

If you plan to convert books for the MR library with KindleGen/Kindle Previewer, you'll also need to use Kindlestrip.py to strip the source files from the compiled .mobi file. (By default, KindleGen generates a hybrid mobi file that can be read on older Kindles and new Kindles and also attaches the source files.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote