View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #64
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My Wishlist:

Themes with room for interpretation. I googled "book club themes," and came up with great results. I list some examples below and some of the books that might fit them.

"Around the World" - literature from other cultures. Examples: the works of Haruki Murakami (Literary), The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo (thriller), The Three Body Problem (Science Fiction), Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman's Awakening (Nonfiction).

"Food" - this one is wide open as it is about food and eating.
Examples: The Vegetarian (horror), Eat, Pray Love (nonfiction), The Food of the Gods (classic sci-fi)

Price limit. I would like us to agree on an upper limit for a monthly investment. Are you willing to spend the price of one movie ticket a month? Are you willing to spend the price of a six-pack of craft beer? Or are you a bargain hunter?

Incubation period. As some others have suggested, I would like to see us limit ourselves to things that have been on the shelf for at least one calendar year from the nomination date. This could very well take care of the price problem because you would be more likely to be able to get it from the library.

Visibility. As many others have suggested, I hope to see the book club moved to a front-page position in the forum rather than being a subforum of the recommendations.

I'm not needy at all, right?
Not at all. Worthy wish list items, and all should be doable. I've already commented on themes, but on the others:
  • Price: I agree on an upper limit. My personal upper limit is $10 USD. But we do need to be cognizant of the different prices in different parts of the world. (Though many of us have found ways to temporarily travel as necessary. Happy to discuss those with any still unclear on the concept.<g>)
  • Incubation Period: I like that designation. Yes, should not be a "NYTimes Best Seller Book Club". This will both help limit prices, but also help us avoid flash-in-the-pan books that don't turn out to be as good (or relevant) as everyone thought.
  • Visibilty: I think a combination of moving to a full forum level, and some sort of badging (any artists out there willing to do a badge for us?) should help with that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote