View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gralapp View Post
Thank you for your suggestions--it is certainly a brave new world out there for listening! I should have added that I need to be stealthy with my listening, as I don't want to awaken my husband! So 'out loud' options are not as optimal as quiet ones. I am very myopic, and can't see at all well with my glasses off, so a larger screen is a good idea. The other thing is that I like to drift off to sleep while listening, and hand/touch controls are great because I don't need to stare into a bright light and wake myself up while I am trying to rewind a little bit.
I do have an Amazon Echo device in my kitchen, I will try it with books! Sounds fun.

The reason I like audiobooks so much is several-fold--I have always loved being read to--what little kid doesn't like a bedtime story? I can read so many more books, too, this way. I am a slow reader, and my eyes get physically tired when I read in the usual way, ever since I had retinal detachment surgery in my 20's. I go into a panic if I don't have a stack of books waiting for me to listen to! Once I lost my Sansa device on a plane to Africa, and I was 'audio-bookless' for three weeks! Oh the humanity...

Anyway, thanks so much for the warm welcome--I will keep searching for the perfect bedtime listening hardware.
Chris, so as not to disturb your husband, how about a product like this? Sleepphones It wouldn't solve the control issue, but it would resolve the stealth issue.

I've had three retinal detachments (same retina each time) and it's miserable, but at least I wasn't in my 20s. Still, we're lucky to live in an age of miracles.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote